Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thing #23 Summarize Your Thoughts about This Program

23 Things has been informative, educational, and fun. When I was first setting up my blog I was so nervous that I would not be able to complete all the activities but as I have worked through each thing, I am amazed at how user friendly technology has become. It also has made me think about what a huge responsibilities educators have now. Not only do we have to teach students required subject skills but we must also teach them how to access information is so many different ways online if we are going to prepare them to be competitive adults in the world workplace. 23 Things is a great program for doing just that.

My favorite exercise was Photo Story. I loved creating with my pictures and adding narration and music was so simple. Switchpod was a bit frustrating but I was proud of myself after I got through it. Discovering Wufoo from the 2.0 Awards list was fun. It made me think about all the forms I have created over the past 17 years and Wufoo is a dream come true.


I think this program has really made me realize that I can be successful with technology. I now feel much more confident about answering teachers questions about technology problems they are having. It has made me much more receptive to completing online classes and workshops.

The thing that surprised me most about the program was how user-friendly most of the projects were. When I think back to even five years ago and trying to create powerpoint presentations and the difficulty getting links to videos or music, it is comical.

I feel that the format of the program is great. I would like to see the site remain active even after the completion of the program as I would like to be able to go back to some of the activities and look at them again. Kind of like keeping a textbook on a shelf to go back and refer to.

I would love to participate in other discovery programs. As I was telling my principal today, the price of gas is so high now that educators are really burdened by all the costs associated with attending workshops. Online programs are so adaptable to our busy lifestyles. My favorite time to work on this program was around 7:00 in the morning while someone else may have free time at midnight.

I would describe my learning experience as TRANSFORMING.

This has been a very worthwhile way to spend an hour or so a day this summer. I am better prepared for my job because of 23Things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a good idea to keep the site active so that we can refer back to it from time to time. I, for one, have an interest in re-trying some of the "Things" I failed at, as well as revisiting others to master them.

I agree that a teacher/librarian is better prepared for the job because of this experience. Good luck implementing it!