Monday, July 21, 2008

Thing #18: Online Productivity Tools

I looked briefly at OpenOffice but it seemed confusing. I already have a Google account so I naturally was drawn to it as I love iGoogle and felt the Goggle Doc would be easy to maneuver through and I was not disappointed. I love the entire concept. I really feel that emails are going to become obsolete with all of these great online productivity tools.

One huge advantage of Google Doc over a Microsoft document is the ability to share with others who can edit and revise the document so easily. That document is then immediately available to all others who have been chosen to share the document. Any computer gives you access to your document(s). I know I am constantly losing my memory stick so this would certainly solve that problem. I also love the idea of being able to publish documents as web pages or blog postings. The most important factor is that this tool saves time! Teachers have so few spare moments that anything that saves them time is going to be embraced. The simplicity of learning how to use Goggle Doc is also a huge advantage. I tried to think of a disadvantage but could not come up with one unless it was that anyone editing/revising your document would have to register with Google. I guess some people would not want to do that, but that is the only disadvantage I could think of.

No comments: