Friday, July 18, 2008

Thing #17: Rollyo

After reading through all the info I have registered on Rollyo. I started out simply by adding a searchroll for recipes, books/authors, and political news but am unable to get the Rollyo searchroll button to appear in my browser. I have tried dragging it, copying it, etc. and no luck. I will continue to work on it.

Searchrolls will be awesome (once I really get the hand of them). One of my concerns in some of these activities was how to know if the sites I am going to are trustworthy. I was also concerned that if I am to help my staff/students use these tools, how can I make sure that I am leading them to sites that are appropriate. Searchrolls are a good way to access sites that I trust or that my fellow teachers trust. I am always getting emails from fellow teachers about sites they have found that are wonderful for lesson plans. How awesome to have these sites on a Searchroll for everyone. Speed of information is the key for teachers and Searchrolls are one more tool in getting great resources in educators hands quickly.

Later in the day.....I am back to Rollyo. Was able to get the Bookmarklet into my Bookmarks bar by putting the address in the URL window and then hitting shift/ctrl and dragging it to bookmark bar. Established a BusyCooks-Recipe searchroll, but somehow lost my searchroll for graphic novels for kids. This has been one of the coolest looking "things" but the most frustrating for me. I have decided I am a very visual person. It would be great to see a video on this activity. Am going searching for one now.

Later in the day....Okay, this is it. Went to TeacherTube and searched Rollyo. Was able to watch a great video by Bruce Goodner on Rollyo and how it works. It was easy to understand and well worth the 11 minutes to watch. Hope it comes in handy for others.

1 comment:

teenyafan said...

Thanks for posting that link. Like you said, some people require more visual cutes. I like your idea for a recipe search roll. We could create one for health recipes, dessert recipes, etc. Combine with a Ning (thing #22) or a blog or wikie to discuss! What possibilities!